Compensation for Seat Belt Injuries in Tucson
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), wearing a seat belt while driving or as a front-seat passenger reduces your risk of death by 45%. Wearing a seat belt also reduces the risk of serious injuries in a car accident by 50%. With these advantages, most states, including Arizona, require drivers and passengers to wear seat belts.
However, while seat belts have saved countless lives and prevented serious injuries, there have been cases where they have injured drivers and other car occupants. Essentially, a driver or a passenger sustains an injury because they were wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident. While the law entitles you to compensation for seat belt injuries, damage recovery is often complex, and you may benefit from the help of an attorney.
If you are in Tucson, AZ, and you or a loved one has sustained seat belt injuries in a car accident, Barry Bellovin of the Bellovin Law Firm, PLLC is here for you. He is a skilled and experienced injury attorney and will guide you through the complex legal process while helping you obtain the compensation you need and deserve.
Common Seat Belt Injuries
While seat belts are meant to protect car occupants in auto accidents, there are some rare occurrences where they are the cause of injuries. With most of these injuries being less severe than non-seat belt injuries, there is usually the risk of a victim downplaying or ignoring them. However, seat belt injuries can be serious, even leading to permanent disability for some victims.
Here are some of the most common seat belt injuries:
- Skin abrasions, cuts, or bruises – these are injuries affecting the chest and abdomen areas where a seat belt makes contact with the body. They are the most common seat belt injuries and should not be ignored as they can be a sign of an internal injury.
- Shoulder injuries – with seat belts strapping the body around the shoulders, these injuries occur when the forceful impact of a collision causes soft tissue injuries to the shoulder.
- Broken rib bones – these occur when a seat belt forcefully restraints a person during an auto accident. The injuries require immediate medical attention to determine their severity.
- Spinal cord injuries – these mostly occur where the lap belt is too tight
- Traumatic head and brain injuries, including concussions
- Stomach or abdominal injuries
- Other injuries include disfigurement, strangulation, and whiplash.
Damage Recovery for Seat Belt Injuries
How much you can receive in compensation for a seat belt injury largely depends on the severity of your injuries. With seat belt injuries ranging from mild to critical, compensation can vary greatly. Typically, some mild injuries like skin bruising may not require hospitalization. However, other seat belt injuries, especially to internal organs, may require costly medical care or surgery.
While you might view a bruised rib as a serious injury, an insurance company might view it as a minor injury with a low settlement value. You need to have a skilled and experienced seat belt injury lawyer negotiate on your behalf to ensure you get fair compensation.
Contact an experienced Compensation Attorney
Motor vehicle accident claims are generally complex. However, the personal injury claim may even be more complicated when a person’s injuries are due to wearing a seat belt. With seat belts meant to protect you in auto accidents, it seems counter-intuitive to seek compensation for seat belt injuries. Insurers may also seek to blame the car manufacturer or others for your injury.
If you are in Tucson, AZ, and a victim of a seat belt injury sustained in a car accident due to someone else’s negligence, you can contact Barry Bellovin of the Bellovin Law Firm, PLLC. As a skilled and experienced Tucson personal injury attorney, Barry has handled many motor vehicle accident claims, including those involving seat belt injuries. He is committed to getting you fair compensation for your seat belt injuries and other damages. Contact him today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about his services.